What is coaching?
Coaching is: supporting people in getting what they want, by being with them in an open, inquisitive, and challenging way, so they are empowered to say, do, and be whomever they want in order to achieve the results they desire.
Why would you want to become a professional coach?
Coaching is a rapidly growing, powerful and empowering discipline that is useful anywhere you want to support others in getting what they want. For example, people choose to become certified as Professional Coaches because:
- They want to open a business coaching people to attain desired results;
- They have a business, and the ways of being and skills of coaching would support them in getting better results (this is true in most service-oriented businesses);
- They are employed as managers or supervisors in an organization and want to learn the skills of leading and coaching to make them more effective in their work with subordinates; or
- They want the ground of being and skill set of coaching to support them in their own lives – in raising the bar on themselves, creating deeper connections and supporting others in getting what they say they want, personally and professionally.
What is a Professional Coach?
The designation of “Professional Coach” means you have met the McLaren Coaching criteria of skills and ways of being a professional coach. Many people take coaching into different disciplines and so the designation is flexible. For example, you might be a Professional Business Coach, a Professional Health Coach, or a Professional Finance Coach.
What are the skills and ways of being a professional coach?
Skills are numerous. We teach the ICF (International Coach Federation) Core Competencies (https://coachfederation.org/core-competencies), and much more. We teach NLP (neuro-linguistic programming), listening skills, and the skills of supporting people in moving forward in their lives; in getting what they most want to have.
“Ways of being” is less specific than “skills” and is the most essential piece in becoming a professional coach. A way of being is a presence, a place to start, how people experience you, your level of openness and accessibility, your ability to meet people where they are and stand in that place with them. This is what supports people in moving forward. This is also an important distinction in our training.
What “kind” of coach training is this?
We teach results-based coaching. This means we coach to the end goal of getting what your clients really want. We coach commitment. The feedback we receive is that we are straightforward and effective in supporting people in creating tangible and specific results, whether those be business results, financial results, relationship results, health results, or anything else.
The FOUR A’s™:
As a fundamental baseline we train in coaching:
All coaching is about self-awareness. Ours is also focused on taking action, making and keeping agreements and accountability for results. This combines to create insightful, bold, effective forward movement for our clients.
Results of Coach Training
- You will be certified as a Professional Coach by McLaren Coaching.
- You will have, among other things:
- the skill sets of coaching;
- the ground of BEING a professional coach;
- substantial experience coaching intern clients;
- substantial real-time specific and usable feedback on your coaching;
- the experience of coaching others in the training;
- a structure for “how” to coach, as in Intake Forms, Coaching Plan creation, Prep forms, Debrief forms and other logistical matters;
- knowledge of and competency in, the ICF Core Competencies for coaching;
- experience in enrolling clients (see c., above); and
- so much more!
1. The training:
1 Saturday per month – full days. Time may vary, but plan on 8am – 6pm.
Dates and Locations in 2019.
- January 26
- March 2
- March 23
- April 27
- May 25
- June 22
- July 20
- August 17
- September 14
- October 12
- November 9
- December 7
Training will take place in Sacramento.
2. Between weekend trainings:
- One teaching phone call either on a topic chosen by your coach or a topic requested by your group.
- On a weekly basis, you will be coaching one person from your training; and a separate person from your training will be coaching you.
- After the first month, you will enroll intern clients. The requirement is 80 hours of intern coaching for the year, which will work out to about 2 clients at a time – each for a 10 week period. Therefore, you will on average be coaching 2 intern clients per week throughout the training.
- You will record some of your coaching calls so that your coach and fellow participants can give you feedback.
- You will record feedback on some of your fellow participants’ calls.
- You will read about 4-5 books.
- You will complete homework.
- You will have weekly meetings and/or check-in’s with your accountability partner(s).
How much time should be dedicated per week, in addition to the actual training?
This number may fluctuate. This is a Program, rather than a series of classes. So you will be living this coach training outside the classroom. It is meant to be transformative. As in, you leave BEING a professional coach, not just having knowledge of how to DO coaching. At the same time, you need not make it “hard.” And if you do, that will be excellent learning for you. Much of learning to coach others is learning about yourself.
Is there anything we should/could do to prepare before the class starts?
There will be pre-work. Probably one book to read and a few questions for you to think about and answer. Assignments will be available on December 1, 2018.
Normal cost of this program will be $7000. Because 2019 is our inaugural year, and we will be seeking feedback as we go, we are going to offer the training for half-price: $3500.
Deposit: To register, a $500 non-refundable deposit is required.
Payment options: If you pay in full before January 1, 2019, you will receive a discount and the full cost will be $3250.
There is an option to make payments on the training throughout the year. In this case, the total amount of the training is $3500. Please email Cami with a proposed payment plan.